Are you getting slow responses from your Keyboard? Don’t get surprised as keyboard input lag is a typical problem, and any user can face the issue while working on Windows 10 PC. You can see multiple times that the texts you type appear very late on the display of the Windows 10 PC. Generally, it won’t be very pleasant if you have a laggy-feeling keyboard. These things become more frustrating while you are doing any important work, but your Keyboard is not cooperating with you.
Writers, web developers, programmers have to spend plenty of their time on the punching keys. If they encounter the issue, it can slow them down. Before solving the problem, you should make sure one thing is if it is the Keyboard causing the issue. Users can do things inadvertently, due to which you can encounter the issue causing Windows PC to slow down. It is also one of the reasons for keyboard input lag. In this article, we have given reasons for the error and a few solutions to eliminate it.
Reasons for Keyboard Input Lag in Windows 10:
There are a few reasons why the Keyboard Input Lag error can occur on the Windows 10 system. The reasons are as follows:-
- Using an outdated keyboard driver can cause your Keyboard to slow down while typing.
- Whether you have a wireless keyboard, the error can happen more often. It can be for not having sufficient battery in the Keyboard due to which it is not functioning accurately.
- Your Keyboard may not be capable of capturing and communicating through wireless signals.
- If your keyboard settings are not right, then it can cause a slow response from the Keyboard in Windows 10.
- Whether you have used the CPU excessively on the system, your Keyboard may react slowly.
How to Fix Keyboard Input Lag in Windows 10:
Here, we have given solutions to the Keyboard Input Lag problem. Let’s have a look at these.
Disable Filter Keys:
Windows comes with an accessibility feature called Filter keys. This feature’s function is to give Windows instructions to ignore the repeated keystrokes. It is one of the reasons due to which you can get delayed output from your Keyboard. If you are willing to solve the issue, then turn off the Filter keys first from the keyboard settings.
- First, your task is to navigate to the Settings option and open it to find the “settings” option in the Start Menu.
- Choose the option Ease of Access. After selecting the option, you should scroll the page down and go to the Keyboard section. You can get this section available in the right pane. Now, you should tap on the Keyboard option and then find the option Use Filter Keys.
- There exists a toggle button under the head. If you find this enabled, then you should disable it and turn off the Settings app.
- Next, write something into the text editor to check whether something lags or not.
If you’re a Windows 11 user, you must tap Windows key + I keys at the moment for opening settings. Next, you should tap on the Accessibility available at the left menu. Now, you should tap on the keyboard option that is available on the right side.
Finally, it would be best if you disabled the filter keys.
Update or Reinstall the Keyboard Driver:
The function of the system’s driver is to let the PC know the way you should handle external hardware. When using an outdated keyboard, it is hard for the PC to communicate with the hardware. In such cases, obsolete drivers are the culprit of the issue. Some methods are there through which you can find outdated Windows drivers and exchange these. Use the Device Manager in this case as it is used in most cases.
- If you are willing to update the driver through this process, then you should tap the Win + R buttons at the moment. Then, your job is to type “devmgmt.msc” to run Device Manager and then tap the Enter button. As soon as you open the Device Manager, you must find the keyboard driver option and tap on it. Now, choose the Update driver option.
- If you prefer, you can allow your Windows to find it automatically for drivers or choose the option to browse My Computer for drivers. Perform the second one when the updated drivers have been downloaded from the manufacturer’s website.
- But if a corrupt or incompatible driver has caused the issue, installing the keyboard driver again is required. In this case, you should uninstall the recent driver from the Device Manager.
- Then, your task is to tap on the keyboard driver and then choose the options Uninstall device. Ensure that you are willing to uninstall it after seeing a prompt. Next, your job is to head towards the menu bar to tap on the Action available at the top of Device Manager. Finally, it would help to tap on the Scan for hardware changes.
- Restarting the computer can help you as the driver reinstalls automatically in this case. After completion of the task, you should check whether the problem remains or not.
Change the Keyboard Properties:
- First, tap on the start option and then write run in the box. Then, tap the enter button.
- Write Control keyboard when you are in the run box. Now, tap the enter key.
- Head towards the keyboard properties screen and ensure that you have dragged the repeat rate pointer to the right side.
- After that, you should hit the hardware tab.
- Now, you should hit the right button of your
- mouse on standard PS/2 Keyboard.
- After that, hit the
- Next, your job is to tap on the properties option.
- Hence, one thing you need to make sure of is that your device status box should display the text “The device is working properly.”
- Sometimes, you may find errors in the window. If there are any, then look at the keyboard driver problem section below.
- Hit the ok button.
- Then, it would help if you tapped the ok option again.
- It would help if you typed it again in apps such as Microsoft Word or notepad.
Run Keyboard Troubleshooter:
Windows 10 generally contains an in-built troubleshooter feature that can solve problems with computer hardware such as audio, video, and Bluetooth drivers, etc. The steps to use the feature for solving the issue are as follows:
Through Control Panel:
Navigate to the search bar and then look for the control panel. Then, you should try to launch it when you see it in the search results.
- Head towards the Run dialog box and open it after that. To do this, you should tap Windows + R keys together. In this case, your task is to write the Control panel and then tap the Enter button.
- After that, your job is to tap the Troubleshooting icon that you can see in the given list.
- Next, you should tap on the View all option that is available in the left panel.
- Now, you should tap the keyboard option from the list.
- Hence, you will see a new window appearing on display. Tap on the Next option to run the troubleshooter.
The troubleshooter you use can detect the error automatically and fix all issues with your Keyboard.
Through Windows Settings:
- First, you are required to launch the Windows Settings.
- Then, your job is to choose the Update and Security option. But before that, your task is to tap both Windows Key + I together to open Settings.
- Next, you should hit the Troubleshoot tab available in the left pane. After tapping the tab, you must hit the Additional troubleshooters option available in the right pane.
- After that, your job is to tap on the Keyboard option available under Find and fix other problems.
- At last, your job is to tap on the Run the troubleshooter. It will help you detect automatically and solve issues with the Keyboard attached to Windows 10 computer.
If it is unable to fix the problem on the system, try another solution.
For Windows 11 Users:
- First, you are required to find the Troubleshoot Settings available in the search box of Windows 11. Then, please tap the Troubleshoot Settings.
- After that, your task is to tap on the Other troubleshooters.
- Next, you should run the keyboard troubleshooter.
Use the DISM Command-Line Tool:
If your Windows Settings has an improper configuration on the system, you may experience a slow keyboard response while typing. In this case, run the DISM command, Deployment Image Servicing, and Management for scanning problems and fixing them.
The steps for running DISM scan are as follows:
- First, your task is to head towards the Windows search bar and then write a Command prompt in the section.
- Please tap on the Run as administrator and then use administrator rights to launch it.
- After that, you should write the commands one by one. Then, your job is to tap the Enter button after each command to execute the command.
1. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
2. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
3. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Type another command
4. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth.
After typing the command, you should wait till the command is not completed.
- At last, you are required to wait for the deployment image servicing and management tool. It will help you to identify the problems in the system.
Ensure that you should run the tool continuously and never cancel in between. You should know that the tool takes about 15-20 minutes to finish the procedure.
Solutions for Wireless Keyboards:
Whether you are willing to solve wireless keyboard lag, it is essential to check the USB connection between the PC and the transceiver, Resynchronize the Keyboard taking the help of the receiver, and check device drivers that your system use.
Check Batteries in the Keyboard:
In this case, you are required to exchange your old battery for a new one.
Check USB Connection:
- First, you should disconnect other USB devices from the system for lack of power to the USB ports.
- Whether you have been facing the issue while typing, you should move the USB receiver to another USB port.
- You are required to keep the USB receiver and Keyboard together.
Resynchronize Your Keyboard:
In this case, you can try to resync the Keyboard with the receiver to fix the trouble. If you are willing to resync the Keyboard, perform the steps.
- Your first task is to hit the sync button and do this continuously till the light is not starting to blink.
- After that, your job is to tap the sync button that is available on the USB receiver. You should know that there are a few receivers that do not have a sync button.
- Whether you find the green light ON constantly, it may happen that the Keyboard has been resync.
Check for Signal Interference:
If you contain a WiFi router or other WiFi devices besides the machine, it can cause interference to the Keyboard. Ensure that WiFi devices that should not be present are as follows:
- Wi-fi routers / switches
- USB Network WIFI
- Mobile Phone / Cell Phone
- Wireless Printers
- Wireless Mouse
It is vital to keep the devices away to check if the keyboard lag improves.
Get a New Keyboard:
When you cannot solve the problem, your hardware may get damaged. So, hence you can try a new one that is working completely on another computer. By checking, you can confirm if it is hardware damage.
Check for Dirt and Hardware Damages:
You should check whether there is any dirt, dust, or any material stuck under the buttons or not. If it is the case, the Keyboard is unable to work. However, physical damage to your keyboard or memory module of the computer can be a reason also.
You should hence clean it. If possible, remove the computer’s memory module and disconnect them back incorrectly. It is advised to take the PC to an authorized service center to fix the problem. There is no need to solve the problem yourself as you may damage the device further as well as other device components.
Restart Your Computer:
If you restart the PC, there is a chance of fixing minor technical issues. For example, restarting your computer or laptop can solve slow keyboard responses. In this case, your first job is to restart the PC.
- To do so, you should hit the Windows key first for opening the Start menu.
- After that, your task is to tap on the Power option and then choose Restart.
Perform a Clean System Boot:
Performing a clean boot to your system can be a solution to fix it. The process to do this is as follows:
- Your first job is to sign in to the system as the administrator.
- After that, you must write msconfig in the Windows search box. You should launch the System Configuration by going to the search results.
- Next, your task is to move to the Services Tab that is available from the top.
- Now, have a look at the box for hiding all Microsoft services available at the bottom section of your display.
- Then, tap on the Disable all button.
- Go to the Startup Tab after that, and then you are required to tap on the link Open Task Manager.
- After you open the Task Manager window, your task is to tap on each unimportant app. Then, you are required to choose the Disable option.
- When you perform the steps, it will stop the applications and not allow them to launch on Windows startup.
- At last, your job is to restart the computer and see if the issue remains on your system.
New User Profile:
You can make a new Windows user profile to see whether it can resolve the problem or not. People who have another profile can switch to that if necessary. In this case, just head towards the Start menu to see if it has been lagging till now. If it is lagging, make a new one.
Step 1: Your first task is to hit both Windows key+I buttons, and then you are capable of opening Settings again. After that, you should head towards the Accounts option and then navigate to the Family & other users. Then, tap the ‘Add someone else to this PC’ option.
Step 2: Next, you should hit the ‘I don’t have this person’s sign-in information’ option.
Step 3: Now, you should tap the ‘Add a user without a Microsoft account option. Then, you are required to follow the on-screen instructions to follow them.
Thus, you can make a guest account. You can easily change a guest account into an admin type. Now, check if the error exists.
How to Fix Keyboard Input Lag in Windows While Playing Games:
Are you experiencing the Keyboard Input Lag error while playing games merely? If yes, then the problem is related to your system.
Perform the steps in this case for confirmation.
- Head towards the task manager and open it first before launching the game.
- Then, you should ensure that both CPU and Memory utilization is low.
- Next, you are required to launch the game.
- If you face the keyboard lagging or going slow, then you should get out of the game.
- See the CPU or Memory utilization. Whether you find this high, your task is to update the CPU or memory.
If you try another solution, then you should power off VSYNC in the game.
You can power off steam overlay whether you play steam games.
We hope you can fix the Keyboard Input Lag in Windows with the help of this post.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Is 100ms keyboard latency good?
It can be jarring if it is over 100ms, and you find this as a delay. If it is under 100ms, you don’t consider it as a delay.
- Is there input lag with the Keyboard and Mouse?
You need to check the connections to see if these are suitable for the PC. The reason is that cables can be tugged and loosened.
- Are gaming keyboards quicker in real?
You can’t do latency testing. Some professional keyboards are there, which are not so quick as the conventional keyboards.