Do you want to sell your old MacBook or return a new model that you have bought recently? Then, you may wish to remove all data from your device. But how can you do so? A factory reset can be beneficial in this case. Here is the guide for “How to Reset Mac or MacBook”.
How to Reset Mac or MacBook Pro (macOS Ventura):
The steps that you need to follow in this case are:-
- First, you need to hit the Apple icon from the desktop screen. Then, select System Settings.
- Now, your job is to tap on General in the sidebar. After that, you should tap on Transfer or Reset on the right.
- Then, you should tap on Erase all content and settings.
- Now, you can get to see an assistant which lets you generate a Time Machine Backup to store necessary information.
- If the backup is unnecessary, you need to tap on Continue to see all content that are going to be erased. Are you okay with everything being deleted? If yes, then tap on Continue.
- After that, you need to enter the Apple ID info. There exists another dialog box where you must confirm that you are willing to factory reset your Mac.
- Once you are sure to do this, tap on Erase All Content & Settings. Next, you must wait five to ten minutes until the laptop sorts itself out.
- After that, your Mac will reset. Hence, your job is to connect to Wi-Fi to reconnect this. You need to tap on the Wi-Fi icon in the top right corner to do so.
- Your Mac will start working once the process is done. Tap on Restart to complete this procedure.
How Can You Factory Reset a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro (older versions of macOS)?
You should follow these below-mentioned steps to do so:-
- Your first job is to hold down the Command and R keys on your keyboard. Then, you need to turn on the Mac. Let go once you see the Apple logo popping up.
- Now, you need to choose the language and continue.
- Then, you have to select Disk Utility and tap on Continue.
- Next, you need to select the startup disk from the sidebar. The default name is Macintosh HD. Then, you must hit the Erase button.
- Once you have selected a name for the disk and it is erased, you need to choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled), which you can get in the dropdown menu.
- After that, you need to click on Erase. Are you willing to encrypt the disc for additional security? If so, you should select the “Journaled, Encrypted” option. Then, it is necessary to generate a password. You need to select the GUID Partition Map.
- Next, tap on Erase, click Done, and exit the window.
- If it’s not done yet, you must connect to Wi-Fi in the top right corner, as on the Mac.
- After that, you have to select Reinstall macOS from the main menu. Now tap on Continue.
- Now, you can get to see a pop-up window. Then, you have to select the Continue option.
- Now, you have to go through the software license agreement and tap on Agree.
- Then, you have to select the boot disk and tap on Install.
- Next, you need to wait for a while for the installation.
- Finally, your computer will restart and continue installing.
How to Factory Reset MacBook without Password:
Sometimes, you may not remember your Apple ID password and even you will not be able to change it. In these cases, you need to factory reset your Mac. Then, you should install macOS. You can apply the process only to Intel-based Macs.
- First, you need to restart the Mac.
- Once you listen to the startup tone, you need to tap & hold the Command + R keys when you use a Mac with an Intel chip. Otherwise, you can tap the Power key & hold it when you use a Mac with an M-series chip.
- Now, you should wait until you get to see the macOS Utilities screen. Then, you need to tap on the Disk Utility option and after that click on Continue.
- Next, your task is to choose Mac’s system drive, Macintosh HD, and the format option Mac Extended (Journaled) or APFS.
- Thereafter, tap Erase.
- After that, you should wait for the completion of the formatting process.
- After exiting from the Disk Utility, tap on the Reinstall macOS option.
- Finally, you must follow the installation procedure until you get to see the Setup Assistant. Shut down the Mac to hold Command & Q keys or Power key. Thus, you can reset the MacBook & Mac PC.
Things to Do Before Resetting Your Macbook:
You should be aware of several things before resetting the MacBook. Once you do such things, these ensure that no files, images or apps will be lost while moving from one MacBook to another.
These are a few things to consider before resetting your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro.
Backup Your Mac:
Once you perform a factory reset, your Mac will go to its factory state. In this procedure, all data & settings get erased. Therefore, you must keep your data backed up to prevent data loss. Apple lets you transfer MacBook data, like images, videos, documents, music files, & so on, to an external drive. For doing this, Apple offers a default backup feature called Time Machine on macOS devices. It is also possible to back up data to cloud storage platforms such as iCloud or Google Drive, but you will need a subscription plan in this case.
Sign Out of All Connected Accounts:
After taking a successful backup, you should remove all digital fingerprints from the Mac. For instance, you need to sign out of all accounts linked to social media or Apple services such as Apple Music, iCloud, iMessage, etc.
Disable Find My on MacBook:
An Apple feature called Find My helps to find Mac devices when these got stolen or missing. Users are able to see their Macs’ live location, play a sound, or erase their Mac via this application. Therefore, when you sell your Mac, you must turn off this feature. The reason is that new users cannot do it without an Apple ID password, and you must not want to share the password with them.
Have you given your old Mac to your kid or someone else? Then, you should unpair your Bluetooth device from it. Hence, you should head toward System Preferences and then Bluetooth. You should move the cursor over the device you want to unpair. Now, hit the X button on the name’s right side. After that, tap on Remove.
NVRAM refers to a memory where Mac saves settings which it requires before it loads MacOS, such as screen resolution, time zone, and volume level and startup-disk selection. However, the files get corrupted in a few cases. Therefore, it is better to give a fresh start to the next owner of the Mac by resetting NVRAM. If you want to do this, you should shut down the Mac. After that, you should power on this. Then, tap and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You need to release them after twenty seconds or so. Thus, you can reset your Mac’s NVRAM.
This article has informed you how to reset Mac Or MacBook. If you want to sell your Mac, there is nothing to worry about, as the new owner can’t get into your apps or files. However, if you are willing to get back to the desktop, you need to follow the prompts as if you are trying to set up the MacBook for the first time.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do you manually reset your MacBook?
Your first task should be to tap the Command (⌘) & Control (Ctrl) keys and hold them down with the power button. Or you need to press the Touch ID / Eject button, but it depends on what model you use. Continue pressing the button until you get to see a blank screen, and the machine restarts.
- Will resetting your Mac delete everything?
It erases everything that you have on the device. As it deleted all critical data, we recommend you to back up your MacBook before taking the necessary steps to reset your Mac.
- What is the command to force Reset Mac?
You can reset the MacBook Pro with a keyboard by holding down the Control + Command + power button/eject button/Touch ID sensor. Then, press the keys until the screen darkens and your Mac restarts.